View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I read Resnick's blog post about this. (Or maybe it was just the one from the author in the UK who reacted to it so strongly...can't remember her name...and made it clear she blamed a good portion of the US as well). His comments seemed ridiculous to me....I hadn't seen anything from the editor specifically, especially nothing that....whiny!

He did point out that a female editor (I think he called her a "lady editor" which people took exception to since it sounds condescending) approved the cover, so I can understand why she might feel she needed to resign.

Do I think that cover is ridiculous? Oh, yeah. Sorry - but you can't say she's a serious warrior woman and then put her in a (chain mail) bikini on the top of a snowy mountain! Maybe if she was in a desert setting that getup could be explained away...maybe.

So yeah, get the folks talking. I just wasn't sure I understood why the editor should resign. She would have done better to use the next (available) magazine to open a dialogue about the issue, rather than just throwing up her hands and saying "I was bad, I quit!"

The only thing in Resnick's rant that I remember being worth considering was that he mentioned that as many romance covers are equally "fantasy-fulfillment" as are the sci-fi covers like the one on this magazine. (Not his words, exactly, but I think that was ultimately what he was trying to say). Believe me, I cringe at many of those covers. If he had said, "well yeah, some of the SFF book covers are pretty amazingly bad" then he would have been on par with a lot of romance readers who think the same about their book covers. We pick up the books despite the covers, not because of them! (And thank god for ebook readers that no one has to see those covers and judge what I'm reading without having a clue about the true content!)

But instead he went on a rant about it's turning into a PC world where men can't be men, yadda yadda.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote