View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by remjax
Reading HTML with images & tables from within a ZIP file would be great as well as RTF support, maybe even some amount of PDF support.
FBReader already does have the capability of reading an HTML file with images from within a zip archive.

So that part of your wish is already true.

Tables are promised for a future release. Right now, FBReader is at 0.71b; I'm hopeful tables will be part of version 1.0.

The FictionBook format itself could only support XHTML if it added that namespace specifically or provided for a mechanism by which e-readers would know what to do with these additional tags. But there's only a format standard (if that's the right word; it's not a formal standard) for FB2. There are no e-reader stipulations, and if you want HTML or RTF support, that's an e-reader issue. On the other hand, there are tools for converting from Word doc to FB2, so you only have to open the RTF file in Word and save it out as a .doc file to be able to make an FB2 file.

As for PDF, I don't believe FB2 or FBReader will add that. You're better off with a dedicated PDF reader I'd say.

Also -- the library feature in FBReader is quite powerful, although it may not do the same things uBook does. But that request, again, is for the e-reader makers and not the format makers.
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote