View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #67
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Their tablet and apps that run on other tablets could do this. I don't necessarily want or need it on my eInk device, but that is a matter of preference.
I could see how Aura could have audio functionality, the high end device side of things. But for the other eInk devices, not sure it'd be worth the inclusion.

Another factor is how much of this type of content is sold, and also what type is it? there are two I can think of, reflowable epub files with read-along audio, and fixed layout epubs with read-along audio.

The former might make sense for devices to include audio support, the latter, not sure something like "Big Bear Hug" would work too well on an eInk device (never tried it, so cannot truthfully comment), and so what's the point in spending time and money on implementing audio on eInk devices.

iOS certainly does support both of the audio types mentioned above, and has done since v5.5, released May 23rd 2012.

I don't see the eInk devices moving from their current setup, if you want a rich platform, then you would either use our iOS app on Apple's devices, or you would use our Android based devices (Vox, and Arc), or our Android app on other Android based devices. Why turn our eInk devices into a pseudo-tablet when we already have a tablet offering?

On a personal level, I don't use iOS or Android for reading. I do not need, nor want the overhead of a tablet / phone for reading a book. I have a Touch which at present is a perfect device for me, it's lightweight and dedicated to reading. I'm temped by an Aura, it's more a 'want' than a 'need' desire though, so I'm holding off for a bit. I could get a Glo, but if I'm going to upgrade, I want to get the best of the range and for me that'd be Aura.

Last edited by Sharkus; 05-09-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote