View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
True, but the comparison is to paper books,
The misapplied, inappropriate comparison.

Quote:
which you can lend out and resell and keep regardless of whether the publisher can/wants to keep paying to keep your book in the DRM servers.
Because there is a physical item to do so with, which there is not with an ebook, and there is no DRM server involved, which there sometimes is with an ebook.
They are different things with radically different physical properties, so why would you expect them both to have the exact same use properties?

If one wants the properties and rules of a physical item, one should buy the physical item. One should not buy a different thing then expect it to have the properties of something else.

Quote:
I think BeccaPrice's point is that, you lose those rights when you buy an ebook over a pbook, so why pay the same amount if you value those missing rights?
You don't lose them. You never had them and you had no good reason to expect to have them. Cuz an ebook is not a pbook.

You do, however, get a whole bunch of DIFFERENT benefits that pbooks can't possibly have. THOSE are the things you should be considering when you decide how much to pay for it. Aside from the value of the content itself, of course, which I agree is comparable in either format.
Similarly, when choosing a pbook over an book, you might want to consider the it's properties, like the money you may get back in future resale, when considering if it's price is worth it.
You wouldn't say "I'm losing the ability to carry this weightlessly along with thousands of others in my pocket, and get instant online delivery, so I should be paying less for this pbook" would you?

Last edited by ApK; 05-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote