View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #16411
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not a big fan of Christie. She writes a good mystery, but the problem is her characters, who are wooden and two-dimensional. Ngaio Marsh and Dorothy L. Sayers, on the other hand, write about characters who come to life as real people. I know that Christie was far more commercially successful than either, but I honestly don't think she was that wonderful a writer.
To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Based on my very limited reading of Christie, Marsh, Sayers and Allingham, I'd still take Christie. Indeed, Christie is the only one I've read more than one book by, so far. Maybe that's just because Christie hit the ground running, while the others took a few books to get going? I don't know, but I didn't much like Wimsey, and didn't really feel Alleyn made sense to me. I did enjoy Campion, but the first Campion wasn't Allingham's first book.
This describes me as well, except for the limited reading part.

Agatha Christie entertains with puzzles, unraveling the mystery is the point. I like Josephine Tey, but Sayers and Marsh don't do much for me.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote