View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Bownds, Deric M.: the Biology of Mind, v1, 31 Aug. 2008

In the early 1990's Deric Bownds, Emeritus Professor of Molecular Biology and Zoology and Director of Program in the Biology of Mind, University of Wisconsin, Madison developed an interdisciplinary course titled The Biology of Mind. Lecture notes from that course were transformed into a book aimed both at his course students and the educated general public.

This book is essentially a review of current neuroscience. It is not at all technical, very clearly written, and serves as an excellent introductory text, containing copious examples, self-experiments, suggestions for further reading, and footnotes. If you are interested in the human brain and evolution, functions and limitations thereof I highly recommend this book.

This book is available as a paper version from Amazon.com and John Wiley and Sons, and as an free online electronic text here.

I contacted the author and he kindly agreed to let me distribute the text on MobileRead, and was even kind enough to provide higher-resolution images. Attached you will find both the Sony-specific lrf version and a html version for those wishing to "roll their own". I certainly highly recommend this book.

Changes to original text:
- moved footnotes for all chapters to end of text for easier reading.
- hyperlinked all mentions of footnotes, images, and chapters for easier navigation.
- some formatting to optimise for ebook read
- cleaned up HTML a little

Note that the original file was created with FrameMaker and contains quite a bit of superfluous tags, if you are interested in cleaning it up some more let me know.

I ran Calibre's html2lrf with the following command:
Code:
html2lrf -a "Deric Bownds" -t "The Biology of Mind" --force-page-break-before-attr="p,class,footnote" --add-chapters-to-toc --no-links-in-toc --chapter-attr="a,class,chapter" --publisher="MobileRead Free Press" --category="Science" "Deric Bownds - Biology of Mind.html"
REQUEST: If someone has a Mac and Adobe Illustrator and some spare time to convert some 70 images to jpg format, give me a ping.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Deric Bownds - Biology of Mind.lrf (1.96 MB, 951 views)
File Type: zip biology of mind.zip (1.07 MB, 837 views)
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote