View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Sil_lis, that is a big misunderstanding, I definitely did not mean to imply that it is ok, just the opposite.
The written word lacks the complexity of spoken language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Oh. I bet that's never been done before.
Has it been done before? What happens if nothing is found? Do the owners get a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
1) Never, ever lie to the Border Patrol. If you do and they find the SD card or whatever you're trying to hide, you are in big trouble. You already have the right to refuse to answer questions. Use that right instead of committing the crime of knowingly making a false statement.
This wasn't the point of my comment. I'm not talking about random people becoming paranoid and hiding the unanswered emails from their mothers. I'm questioning the effectiveness of this approach in catching bad guys.

Quote:
2) So, the guide is 14 months old. Did you read it? Are there things in it that are no longer true? I think the examples of travellers who might want to avoid hassles are still relevant (e.g. journalists researching stories on America's "enemies" and medical professionals who are required by US law to protect patient record privacy) and the techniques for ensuring you aren't carrying any such data on electronic devices upon entry/re-entry to the US are still sound.
The guide seems to say that people can choose not to divulge the passwords. The article in the OP is saying that people can be ordered to give their passwords.

Quote:
Most of us have no sensitive data on our eReaders or laptops, but it could still be a serious inconvenience to have these devices confiscated for days or weeks. Anyone who has already been mistakenly fingered on DHS watch lists -- and these databases are notoriously rife with uncorrected errors -- might want to take some of the precautions recommended in the EFF guide in order to head off the hassle of losing their laptop on the way to a conference, or their eReader at the start of a vacation.
Look at the problem from this perspective: what exactly is stopping bad guys from following the same procedure?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote