View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #341
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
OK, I'll check out the Compact version and see how it compares to Caecilia.

The Gen3 did not let you put in numbers, but the settings were actually equivalent to font sizes. So one setting would compare to "Font size 8 at such and such dpi", then the next size would be comparable to size 9. I don't remember the exact details; I only had that reader for two months.

edit: I've just tried Charis Compact. It looks nice, but it's smaller than Caecilia 4. A comparison:

Charis SIL Compact is still thinner than Caecilia.
Charis SIL Compact 4 vs Caecilia 4 gains 6 lines on screen.
Charis SIL Compact 5 vs Caecilia 4 loses 2 lines on screen.
DejaVu Sans 4 vs. Caecilia 4: gains 2 lines on screen, but is thinner than Charis SIL Compact, and WAY thinner than Caecilia.

I have a feeling that a heavier version of DejaVu Serif or a somewhat bigger version of Charis SIL Compact (so that Charis SIL Compact 4 has the same amount of lines on screen as Caecilia 4, or maybe 1-2 lines extra) would do the trick. Also, I'd like to try an even heavier and somewhat bigger version of Charis SIL Compact.

I've downloaded and installed the evaluation version of FontCreator. It runs for 30 days: enough to jack around a bit. Could someone point this font-n00b into the correct direction, on how to quickly add some weight to a font, and how to adjust the size?

Strange that I'm now fiddling with fonts. In the "old days", I'd just pick up a book, decide after a page that the font was fine or crap, finish the book, and then move to the next one. To be honest, Caecilia 4 is quite perfect for my needs, except that it's not "elegant" or beautiful or elegant. (Charis, DejaVu, and also Trebuchet look "better", but not necessarily more readable.) While reading paper books, I'd have loved to have every book printed in Caecilia 4; it would be a great improvement over many paperbacks I have. And here I am, still trying to find an "even more better" font.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote