Thread: Font Embedding?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
But, fortunately, as we've been discussing, it looks like SW will start intake for ePUBs. Assuming that they don't go the Kobo route, and then run them through the "Grinder" (Calibre) again, that should be a very good thing for everyone.

Hitch
I hope SW does run the user-submitted ePub through the meatgrinder. That way, the ePub would be the source for all the other formats (except PDF). Just don't ePub > ePub and all will be well.

Speaking of not being able to follow the style guide, I'll give you worse...

Phoenix Pick... They cannot code to save their lives.

Code:
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif"> So here you have it—a brand new line, in which t</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">o</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">day’s superstars strut their literary stuff, and also intr</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">o</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">duce you to the early work of the next generation of Hugo winners and bestsellers.</span></p>
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:14pt; line-height:normal; margin-left:121.5pt; margin-top:13.5pt"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:14pt; font-style:italic">Mike </span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:14pt; font-style:italic">Resnick</span></p>
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:14pt; line-height:normal; margin-top:13.5pt; text-align:center"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:14pt; font-style:italic">***</span></p>
<p class="NoSpacing"><span>*</span></p>
<p class="NoSpacing" style="text-align:center"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif; font-size:16pt; font-weight:bold">=REBOOTS=</span></p>
<h1 id="navPoint_2"><span>Cody Martin: </span><span>A Long Strange Trip </span><br /><span style="font-style:italic">by Mercedes Lackey</span></h1>
<p class="First" style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">I first “met” Cody Martin in an online game.</span></p>
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">The game is City of Heroes, an MMORPG (massive multi-player online role-playing game). We both belonged to one </span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">supergroup</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif"> (aka guild for you </span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">WoW</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif"> players) in a loose organization of role-playing groups on the Pinnacle server. For the uninitiated, role playing is very much like partially-scripted improvisational theater. The folks we were with were very much involved in storytelling (as opposed to “grinding” their characters to the highest level possible in the shortest amount of time), so it was pretty natural for me to gravitate towards them.</span></p>
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">It turned out that he actually </span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif; font-style:italic">had</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif"> been part of a “grinding” group of friends and was about to kill off his character and quit when he ran into us and got intrigued. Our characters meshed well and he quickly got involved in a couple of my story lines; I liked the introduction he had written and posted on the group’s website (we heavily encouraged people to write prose as well as role-play) and as the people behind the “</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">toons</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">,” we hit it off.</span></p>
<p class="BasicParagraph" style="font-size:11.5pt; line-height:normal"><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">At the time I thought he was a college student or even in his mid-twenties. I had no idea he hadn’t even gradua</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">t</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">ed from high school. He was that good at character develo</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">p</span><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman', serif">ment.</span></p>
Might as well show you the CSS for BasicParagraph.

Code:
.BasicParagraph { color:#000000; font-family:'Adobe Caslon Pro', serif; font-size:11.5pt; line-height:120%; margin-bottom:0pt; orphans:0; text-align:justify; text-indent:18pt; widows:0 }
And just what does this mean (found is the CSS (why have a CSS when most of the code is in the HTML?)...

Code:
Styles for document saved to a stream
Generated by Aspose.Words for .NET 9.7.0.0
The ePub (sample from B&N) actually has no line ends in the HTML, I added them for readability.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rebo...reboots+lackey

Get the sample and see really bad code. Actually, really bad is better then this. This is the worst code I've ever seen in a publisher ePub. And given some of the names they have as authors, you'd think they'd put some care into their eBooks.

I'd rather wait for the infinite monkeys typing on a computer keyboard to generate a proper ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote