View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #78
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
First, I'd like to quote myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I feel bad for the simple minded people who pen these articles. I can't imagine thinking that PCs, tablets, e-readers, and the like are static devices that come and go. It's much more fun to be able to follow the evolution of information and entertainment technology. The e-reader isn't a direct descendent of the scroll. It's a branch of the tree of personal computing. It evolved from laptops and evolved into tablets. It will not go away.
I really do not understand the need to categorize these things. If someone installs a VOIP app on a Kindle Fire, does that make it a Phablet? When someone claims something is the best and follows the claim with three paragraphs of qualifications, I am not impressed. In fact, I don't often pay attention to 'best' or 'leader' or 'top' when I am shopping for anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barclays Capital
Where we differ from other research on phablets – under the narrow definition – is that we believe consumers will consider more than just display size when choosing a mobile device. We believe they will also focus on price, performance and portability. In the next two to three years, the phablet appears to be the optimal device vs regular smartphones (better portability and smaller screen size) and 10-inch tablets (better display quality, but high price and weak portability).
Other researchers do not believe price, performance and portability will matter to consumers? Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barclays Capital
Among the outcomes of such a battle are “more bad news for the PC/Win8 industry,” perhaps, as “The growth of phablets represents a potential increase of cannibalization of other data-consumption devices, especially NB PCs, in our view.”
I wonder if the author typed that article into an iPhone. While it's great to be able to read my email on a bus or in traffic, and I occasionally cuddle up with an e-reader, if you are reading more than a half dozen words from me, I'm typing on a full size keyboard in front of a pair of 24" screens attached to PC/Win8 hardware.

In a linked article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topeka Capital Markets’s Brian White
In our view, the iPhone 5 unibody aluminum case is a work of art and we believe it would be even more popular with the ability for consumers to choose from a wide array of vibrant colors that only Apple can deliver. Eventually, we expect Apple to bring a wider array of colors to the iPad
(I'm probably going to get a cease and desist from iLawyers for violating an 'array of colors' patent.)

The best quote on this topic might be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Well then, it is a pretty useless report.
and you get karma for that Madness!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote