View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #103
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It was actually 'subniveal' and according to Harry it's even in the Kindle's dictionary. It's not made up by the author and it was correctly used.
Interesting... I can't find any definition of 'subniveal' that doesn't say it's a zone under the snow. None that I see say it means 'under the snow.' They say it is 'From the Latin for "under" (sub) and "snow" (niv)....Which is what the subnivean area is. The climatic region between the ground and the bottom of the snow mass.
subnivean
Web definitions
Subnivean refers to a zone that is in or under the snow layer. From the Latin for "under" (sub) and "snow" (niv)....
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnivean

Let's agree to disagree. I have a dictionary that defines 'chillblains' as 'the common cold, and another that says;
chilblains plural of chil·blain
Noun
A painful, itching swelling on the skin, typically on a hand or foot, caused by poor circulation in the skin when exposed to cold.
Which are we going to believe? Or shall we believe both, even though they have nothing to do with each other?

Quote:
If I was painting a scene wherein the characters were 'doing battle against food spoilage' or 'on a covert op to provide cold drinks for a dorm party' I might indeed arm them with a refrigerator and it would be quite correct.
ApK
Yes, it would be... in those situations. I can not believe that 'subnevial,' in this situation while in fact being 'under the snow' is correct usage of the word. Anyone NOT using the Latin translation to this word, anyone who was familiar with the word as it is used, would be completely thrown off. As I was. When I read the sentence used, I thought; 'a climatic zone under the lawn? Strange...' Perhaps there are times words are chosen that one normally wouldn't use, and as a result, creates more confusion for the reader.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote