Thread: Glo Kobo Firmware 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #208
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
How do I send you a copy of my Glo's database?

I'm quite willing because I don't keep anything on it that isn't entirely expendable.
I've had a look at the database that Lynx-Lynx sent me. Thanks for that, and my apologies for the mistake in the first message.

A little explanation first.

The reference stored for the reading position and bookmarks are made up of several parts:

- A reference to the chapter
- A reference to the file the position is in
- A point in that file

As a lot of epubs a built with one chapter per file, the first two parts usually look like they are repeating some information, but they are serving different purposes.

The point in the file is a series of number separated by slashes and colons. I'm not completely sure what the numbers mean, but it looks like they are counters for walking the HTML/XML tree. If I am right, it is a reference to the end of the first paragraph on the screen.

So, using this information, the reader application can work out where the reader is up to and where to put bookmarks. Looking at the database Lynx-Lynx supplied, the current reading position and the bookmark for the page are identical. Same chapter reference, same file and same point. Looking at my database, it is the same.

What does this tell me? Not much. If they were different, it would tell me that the calculation for the two types of position was handled in different ways. Then I might have been able to see where the two points actually were in the book and then on the screen. It looks like the code for positioning the bookmark is different from the code for getting to the last reading position and the latter is wrong. My guess would be the code is that an index isn't being incremented at the right place or someone is counting from zero instead of 1. But this doesn't tell me why it works for some people and not for others.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote