Thread: Glo Kobo Firmware 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #203
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The gap is caused by the settings of the widows and orphans style setting.

[...]

So, the device is respecting the design of the book. It does this in the same way as it respects the other settings. To me, this is the correct thing to do. The book designer decided to do it this way. At least I hope it was a conscious decision and not that they forgot. Or worse, didn't know they could do this..
The problem for me is that the device is respecting the (often badly chosen) settings in the book rather than respecting the reader's preferences. In firmware 2.3.1 Kobo made changes so that user preferences can override epub book settings for margins and linespacing, and that was a big improvement in my view. I think allowing user preferences for widow/orphan settings to override the book settings would be consistent with that, and would be another big improvement.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote