I have been crawling google and this forum since i got my Nook simple touch. I am a Hong Kong guy, and so i need to read Chinese fonts, of course.
I have successfully rooted the device, but still, i cannot read Chinese ePub as many of you may encountered.
One way to do it, would be adding the CSS using Calibre, but when you got 154 ePub books like me, you don't want to do it that way. so do i.
May be i am not a native English speaking person, and i may use the wrong words to crawl Google, i never succeed to find a solution out there.
Here's what i did; easy, fast and good!
- Root your Nook Simple Touch (i think there is enough information for rooting, so i don't bother it here)
- Install Root Explorer v2.14.2 (i used this one, it works. you can try other version, just search it in Google)
- copy the "msyh.ttf" to the "system/fonts/" (you will need to "Mount R/W" in the root explorer)
- .... I cannot upload the "msyh.ttf" file, but you can easily download it through google, just type "msyh.ttf download" would be good...
- Now, go to the "system/fonts/" folder inside root explorer
- just pick a system fonts, for me, i have chosen "GillSans.ttf", and i renamed it. (whatever you like to, just do not delete for safety measure)
- and then rename your "msyh.ttf" file to the file you just changed (the original name it used to be), for me, i renamed "msyh.ttf" to "GillSans.ttf"
- Basically, you are done!
Now, go to your Chinese book, choose the "SYSTEM FONTS" you just renamed, for me, in this case, i choose Gill Sans. See~? ALL DONE!!!!
You don't even need to tick the "Publisher Defaults" option. and the layout just comes out clean and organized. I don't know if there is a post that has addressed this issues. but i think it is easier than what i can search in Google. Hope this help!