View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptote View Post
I am currently only interested in where the bootloader is stored on the Kindle 3.

If the Kindle 3 uses some other place besoides the MMC that contains the Linux partitions, I want to know how I can access that to back it up, and reflash it for experimentation and also to restore it to it's original state when I'm done.

I have read some of the Freescale documentation, but it doesn't mention the boot process. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong document, I was reading:
MCIMX35SR2CEC.pdf
The Kindle 3 -

Read the source code of K3Flasher (it does that, the backup and restore) ;
If the K3Flasher script does not make a copy of the first 32Mbyte of /dev/mmcblk0
Then copy that also (that area, prior to the first partition start, holds u-boots and kernels and device specific stuff - the eMMC in the K3 uses a DOS disk label).

Read Freescale AN3996.pdf (available from the Freescale site) ;

Also of interest, the source code for the ATK, for their SoC downloader client info.
Plus the application notes associated with the ATK.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote