View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by praneeth.aithara View Post
Dear Friends,

I own a kindle 3 which I bought 2 years ago. It was damaged recently and it's out of warranty period. Yesterday, I bought a used Kindle DXG from a friend, which was only 6 months old and it's brand new.

Now, I read on this forum about installing 3.1 firmware on Kindle DXG and there were few users who reported that Kindle DXG RAM is only 128 MB while Kindle 3 RAM is 256 MB.

Please help me to understand, if this is possible: To replace 128 MB RAM of Kindle DXG with 256 RAM of Kindle 3 and then upgrade it to 3.1 firmware. How should one do it and Will that have any adverse effect on battery.

Thank you so much.
With the proper tools, any of the parts on the Kindle is replaceable.
You will need the special tools used to re-work SMT (Surface Mount Technology) assemblies.

To replace a specific part with an alternate part (rather than with an identical part, as in repairing the device), you need the technical reference material on the devices in question.

A more specific answer:
In the case of the DDR RAM chip -
Many manufacturers of these devices produce them in "families", all members of the family share the same physical pin-out (in this case, ball-out) with the same signal connection plan.

Look up the RAM part number in your DX, find if it is a member of a "family" of devices and if that "family" contains a part with higher storage capacity in the same package.

Now compare the electrical characteristics of both parts - -
Then you can answer the question about effects on the battery.

If you have the special tools, or access to the special tools - -
If you find a physically and electrically alternate part for the existing part - -
Then you need to find out if the alternate part is one of those which the SoC chip in your DX can initialize.
Refer to the SoC chip technical documentation to answer that question.

If you find that the SoC can initialize the alternate part - -
Then check the U-Boot and Kernel sources to see if they can also properly control the new device type.
Both sets of sources will have a list of the devices they can control.
You may have to customize those lists.

Let us know how you get on with this project.

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2012 at 09:03 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote