View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #73
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Interesting to see that more of the cloudy/mottled/splotchy screens are being reported (I'm one of those waiting for a replacement coming 10/9). Does anyone know if the tech blogs have picked up this story yet?

As far as it being a problem that disappears over time, I just double-checked my original PW (hadn't picked it up yet today). Still distractingly blotchy with the backlighting required for an interior room. (For whatever it's worth, I'm typically using it in an air-conditioned room at about 72F. It's still kind of humid here in NC.) The only time it doesn't bug me is in the dark with the backlight set very very low.

Upgrades: I did not 'fish' for an upgrade, although I (very politely) told them I would appreciate anything they could do to beat the "4-6 week" replacement time. It looks on my invoice that I got a PW without offers (my original was SO). Since this is the same hardware (right? just a software change on their end?), I guess they got in more non-3G replacement units. I won't deny I'm somewhat jealous of the people who got the 3G upgrades, but I won't be surprised if Amazon starts cutting back the upgrades. I guess it also depends on how widespread this problem turns out to be.
I did a quick Google check yesterday to see if any sites other than Kindle related forums were talking about it. I didn't see anything. I think I will put a poll to see how many got replacements. I know it is really not a poll as such, either you did or you didn't, but it will track the numbers though VERY unscientifically.