View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #54
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
So, I'm OK with a 50x fine, as long as the actual reading of the book is proved beyound any reasonable doubt.
So if you sneak into a movie, is it OK unless it is proved beyond any reasonable doubt that you actually watched the film? This seems unreasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Counterfeiting money or other items DOES have a victim. The person who ends up receiving those goods believing they're real.
So would you say that counterfeiting is OK if the bills are indistinguishable from those produced by the legitimate sovereign printer? I would say it is equally wrong.

Did I just equate downloading a book with counterfeiting? No. Counterfeiting is wrong because it dilutes the value of other copies of that bill. Downloading doesn't do that. However, I would compare uploading a copyrighted book to a web site to counterfeiting, since it dilutes the value of other copies of the book.

P.S. I realize one big difference between counterfeiting and uploading is that the counterfeiter does it for selfish reasons, and the uploader probably thinks he or she is doing other people a service. It's ironic that good motives sometimes lead to bad actions.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote