View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #91
jswinden
Nameless Being

Got mine. I'm just starting to test it out. Very preliminary findings which might change with time:

Screen with light turned all the way down (off):
  • The screen background is noticeably darker gray than on my Touch.
  • Text is VERY noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Fonts look to be about on par with those on my Touch.

Screen with light turned on at level 10:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still very much gray.
  • Text is VERY noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are noticeable but can be ignored fairly easily.
  • Light shadows across page are not yet noticeable.
  • Light bleeding around edges NOT noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 14:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still gray.
  • Text is noticeably lighter (faded) than on my Touch.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are VERY noticeable and rather annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming noticeable.
  • Light bleeding around edges NOT noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 18:
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still gray.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are EXTREMELY noticeable and VERY annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming more noticeable and SOMEWHAT annoying.
  • Light bleeding around edges BARELY noticeable.

Screen with light turned on at level 24 (brightest setting):
  • The screen background is noticeably lighter gray than on my Touch, but still mostly gray with splotches of white areas.
  • Light shadows at bottom of page are EXTREMELY noticeable and EXTREMELY annoying.
  • Light shadows across page are becoming more VERY and VERY annoying.
  • Light bleeding around edges FAIRLY noticeable.

Notes on the Fonts:

The above screen tests were done with the Page Refresh Every Page turned Off. After I remembered to turn it On the fonts displayed much better. A huge improvement. There are only two fonts exactly the same as on the Touch, they are Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed. Well maybe 3 as Helvetica might be used on the Touch for sans serif, but I'm not sure. Anyway, looking at Caecilia and Caecilia Condensed on both Kindles the PW has the slightly thicker font, however the screen still makes the fonts on the PW look somewhat to very faded depending on screen brightness.

Initial Thoughts on Screen

I'm not at all happy with what I've seen thus far. I need to spend time reading, as in a few hours, to see if there is any eyestrain. If so I'm sending it back. Now I've got a slight bit of OCD so I'm indeed more bothered by non-uniform screen splotchiness than most people probably are. So I'm going to wait until I've read extensively on it under various conditions to make the decision.