View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I'd love to know how they could prove the difference between an (allegedly) "designed" 4-stroke engine sound and one that sounds similar purely because it has a particular cylinder layout, uses no supposedly sound-altering devices, and, say, straight pipes.
Rather strange how some other motors have a distinctive engine sound without any extra effort being made to enter a "sound boutique" competition.
Still, I suppose Harley had to find something radical and important to develop on their power plants .......
If the sound is completely natural they can't claim any form of infringement. They can if a pipe or expansion chamber is "tuned" to mimic their bikes. This was discussed in depth at the time when they took out the copyright. Yamaha Viragos had a modification kit that made the 1100cc models sound like Softails. That was in breach.

It is like the Cadbury "purple" I can paint my car that colour, but I couldn't sell block of chocolate in a wrapper that colour.

What fascinates me is the suggestion that a Harley had a washing machine motor. I can see some outlaw club members chocking on their colours.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote