View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
I know it is fashionable to say people will watch video on these things, but I still say past 3-minute trailers and videos, it isn't going to happen. People are buying large screen TVs for a reason.

Right now, the ability to purchase video on iTunes and play it on my computer doesn't really give me anything more than my big-screen TV and my NetFlix subscription doesn't give me, except for a faster time to market. Anybody with cable TV and a Replay is way ahead of what Apple's offering - they can capture any show at any time.
It's all about mobility, having access to videos anytime, anywhere. It's main appeal is for people on the go who want to stay "connected" to their favorite shows until they get a chance to watch them on their big screen HDTV at home. It's also about mobile entertainment, which is a huge market, especially when you consider the increasing popularity of in-car entertainment systems. Let the kids watch some short Pixar films or their favorite Disney shows while they're in the back seat. Of course it isn't the great cinematic experience you get at home with a large screen HDTV and surround sound home theater, but you can't exactly carry that around with you everywhere, and you're not always on your couch at home.

Quote:
Apple made a big misstep: they put Front Row on the wrong box. Great for crowded dorm rooms but not much else. Unless they change the displays they're putting in, the iMac lcd monitors are not that good for full motion video. What people really want from what I've read on the boards is something in the form factor of a Mac Mini.
Give them time, I'm sure it's in the works. Front Row is the "10 foot GUI" for OS X that many of us have been waiting for. Combine a Mac Mini with a large disk, Elgato Eye-TV recording capabilities, Front Row, and outputs for your HDTV, and you have a digital hub for your living room. Then optimize other applications in OS X like Widgets, Mail, and Safari for Front Row, and you have the media center experience that Microsoft has been struggling to get right for years.