View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #116
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually it does. UK copyright law has a specific exemption for recording off the radio for personal, non-commercial use. That's why many DAB radios sold in the UK have recording capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Elfwreck, note he is posting from Australia, none of your American examples apply. I know nothing of the law in the land down under, so I can not speak to his rightness or wrongness for his country.
Sorry; I forgot. I did know exemptions for time/format shifting had been made--none of which seem to specifically require keeping the original.

In the case of "record a radio/tv show," you don't have the original at all. You're making a copy to keep of something you legally have temporary access to. The same argument could be made for scanning a library book in order to read it on an ereader, or because you read slowly enough that the standard loan period isn't long enough. (E.g. reading it aloud for a sick relative.)

And the right to record sound hasn't been extended to the right to record text, although some recent rulings imply that it would be, if that particular issue ever went to court.