View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I agree with you, I don't think it makes sense. They say that people who own Kindles buy way more (e)books. But those are people who chose to PAY for Kindles, they are self-selected readers. If Amazon offered Kindles for free to Prime members, they would have to give away Kindles to millions (?) of people who might read a book a year, if that. They would want the free Kindle because it's free! And free is fun! But I don't think a free ereader is going to magically turn a non-reader into a reader. And now that tablets are popular, I see e-ink readers becoming an even more specialized product for "hardcore" readers. And I don't think Amazon could give away a Kindle Fire for free??

Let me put it another way. Amazon started out as a bookstore, now they sell pretty much everything under the sun. People who pay for Amazon Prime, are they readers? Or are they people who like the convenience of shopping in one place for everything? I guess Amazon knows the answer to this question, but we don't.

I think a discount for Prime members on the whole Kindle lineup makes more sense.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote