View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Kindle screensavers & Calibre book covers

Hi Kindle & Calibre users,

I'm not a Kindle owner myself so I'm a stranger in this forum (please be nice )

In Jan 2011 I created a Calibre plugin, Copy Cover, which allows quick and easy copying of Calibre book covers to your device for use as screensavers. It started out supporting Sony and Pocketbook devices (which I own) and by mid 2011 I added support for Nook and some Kindle devices. To-date it appears to be being successfully used by 30,000+ users.

Last week a Kindle Touch (non-Ad-supported) owner asked me whether I could add support for his device. Beta-testing seems to have been successful, so I've released a plugin update (v1.6.0)

In summary, the plugin should work on any jailbroken Kindle which also has installed one of the following:
  • Simple Screensaver hack (by Yifan Lu) e.g. Kindle Touch (non-Ad-supported).
  • Custom Screensaver hack (by NiLuJe) e.g. Kindle2/3/DX (supported in plugin since May 2011).
In case you're wondering about the Kindle 4 (non-Ad-supported), I'm not sure because I don't have access to one. What I can say is that if you are already successfully using one of the above Kindle screensaver hacks on a jailbroken Kindle 4 (non-Ad-supported), then the plugin should work fine.

The plugin requires no technical knowledge to operate and employs no rocket science. It simply and quickly copies Calibre covers (max. 100) of the correct shape, size and format to the appropriate 'special' screensaver directory in Kindle internal memory.
[N.B. Please do not jailbreak your Kindle unless you fully understand what it means and implies.]

Whilst the plugin is not as convenient as having an on-device option of display-cover-of-current-book, it may help until Amazon/your Kindle developers provide such a feature.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can read more about it in the Calibre Copy Cover main thread. Anyone who is already using other Calibre plugins will be aware that installing an extra plugin is as simple as picking from a list.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or in the main thread.

Kind regards, Jackie
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote