View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #61
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
No, it was user error.
Spoiler:
I'm on vacation, but brought my desktop, because a friend who lived near here was going to give me some nice parts. (Nice meaning better than mine.) I recieved a new motherboard and bought a processor on ebay. my Windows XP install did not like that. It said I had 3 days to reactivate. i clicked through to the part where it was supposed to give you the code to call microsoft with, but the code never appeared. In a fit of rage, i wiped the HDD that contained Windows and used to contain Linux Mint, before i deleted Fedora and move my Linux Mint partition to the bigger HDD. A day later, i realized that I had lost the kindle images when wiping the windows HDD. I then went to use 2 recovery tools, both of which i thought didn't work. Then, of course, my whole X session crashes, and for some reason, my ttys are broken as well. I then reboot, and instantly find myself in an time warp to the past in which all of my favorite programs are gone, almost a clean install(linux mint). I promptly flip out, but then realize one or both of the recovery programs hs restored not only windows but my old linux mint install. This promptly confuses GRUB, which i spend hours rying to fix so i can boot into my newer install and get the rootfs images and then wipe the windows HDD again. Turns out, when you copy partitions with gparted, it copies the UUID as well.

TLDR: User error(go figure),identical UUIDS, windows, rage, etc.
If someone can tell me what the code is for spoilers, I would love to hide the above braindump. Also, I apologize for bad formatting, spelling, etc. (This is all from my K3.)

Last edited by qlob; 08-14-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added tldr,spoiler.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote