View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #97
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookversusbook View Post

Firstly download a free $00.00 Kindle ebook ...

Secondly make sure you have DELIVER TO to "your name" Kindle for PC ..

Thirdly ... you suddenly see the main window of Kindle for PC appear as well as it downloading/sync the free ebook example.
well of course, because when you click that button you authorise the web page to push that file to your PC, for auto-opening.

BUT if your K4PC install is broken, as mine was last week, then that step FAILS. & nothing appears.

All the web page is doing is downloading a .mobi file to your PC, with an instruction to open that file using the default app. ( which should be K4PC).
Having amazon launch K4PC for you, is NOT going fix a broken install!!

your process is no more logical than suggesting that you need to hold the PC upside down or recite abracadabra while you click.

returning to the firewall issue - curiously I see that K4PC is NOT in the list of programs allowed thru my windows 7 firewall, yet my install is working.
I am going to close all active programs & then monitor connections when launching K4pc, then report back

UPDATE - logging allowed connections in peer block...it does some multicasting at launch using IGMP, then continues with UDP TCP stuff.... busy little beast.
(Multicasting allows one computer on the Internet to send content to multiple other computers that have identified themselves as interested in receiving the originating computer's content. )

so it's telling the Amazon world that it's up n running & generally open for business..
anything that screws with this could in theory stop the program from working.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote