View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #62
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
actual multiple file download from calibre with metadata?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g007 View Post
This would make you a miracle worker in my book. I'd love to try the beta too —*I have a Nexus 7.
This post could confuse things more than help, but I will give it a try.

Our app displays the metadata you see in calibre. It ignores the metadata stored in the books. This means that if you change a tag or a series or what-have-you in calibre, you can see those changes in the app without resending or reconverting the books. Turn on calibre's automatic metadata management, then simply connecting the app to calibre will do the necessary metadata updates. Having this behavior is probably the major reason I wanted to build this app.

On the other hand, our app does nothing more than calibre does with the books themselves. If you send a book to your device via our app and then open it with aldiko or fbreader or ???, then you will see the metadata inside the book. That metadata could very easily be different from what you see in calibre. We have no control over this behavior. Updating metadata in books is extremely complicated and far beyond what we can implement. For evidence, look at threads like the one for modify epub.

One reason that we are working hard at making our app be a "director" (able to open books using other reader apps) is to avoid all the kerfuffle around metadata inside the book vs calibre's metadata. OK, I admit that I like this feature and that is another reason we did it. We have succeeded at that with some apps like FBReader, Cool Reader, and Adobe Reader (this list is not exhaustive -- for example I haven't tried Moon+ or Aldiko). Unfortunately, some reader apps don't play nice and publish what kinds of books they can open (Kindle for Android, for example), so people who "live" in those apps won't get many of the updated-metadata benefits.

As I said above, I hope this info helps more than it confuses.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote