View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #64
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
My old version of Kindle (1.83.36179) won't start anymore either. Absolutely nothing happens when the icon is clicked. I hadn't started it for a few days before today.
I did get the "you need to upgrade" warnings a while back indicating my older version would stop working, had investigated, and the info here & other places seemed to indicate that Amazon replied the warnings were given in error, and older versions would not expire. My program is set to 'never upgrade without approval', and i hadn't seen any recent warnings.
Interesting, this particular result (the program not even starting, not just stopping working as it used to). I'm sure it's just my cynical suspicious side, and I'm not an IT guy, but it seems to imply one of 2 scenarios.
1) All older versions of Kindle (within a certain range) had a 'bug' or expiration date built in, which just happened to be the same expiration date across multiple versions.
or:
2) Amazon reached out and 'killed' the programs without user consent.

Yeah, sounds paranoid, but.... a typical failure of a program to cease working wouldn't keep the program from starting on a local PC, it just wouldn't do it's intended function anymore. I've heard tales of this kind of thing happening (intentionally or not) through automatic updates if enabled.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote