View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
You can listen to this episode of the kindle chronicles to hear his story of what he had to go thru to get the Potter books from Pottermore:

http://www.thekindlechronicles.com/2...rgaret-atwood/
[EDIT] The guy in the link merely DLed the ePub version and used calibre to convert it. Two problems with that: One it still requires using Crappymore to make the purchase. Two it uses calibre to convert. I refuse to let calibre defile my books. If I convert an ePub I will use Sigil to edit (if necessary) and Kindle Previewer to convert to mobi. [/EDIT]

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I did a bit of research last night and discovered that many USA banks refuse the transaction because it is in the UK and apparently because UK transactions have a high reputation of being fraudulent. My bank called last night to ask if I had authorized the Pottermore purchase because they flagged it as possibly fraudulent. It was an automated alert call, BTW. I never had any problems back when I bought from Fictionwise in France, so I'm not sure why they are singling out the UK transactions.

Another gripe that is prevalent is the bugginess of the damn Pottermore site. I for one have to jump through hoops just to log in as Pottermore keeps forgetting my login information and then refuses me entry. I've had to reset my password twice to enter, but the next time it will block me again. I don't know what idiots designed her site, but they sure were stupid.

My main gripe is that the B#T%H requires us to go to her site to buy the HP books! Amazon should have forced her to sell through them or not have dealt with her at all. I want to use my Amazon account as it is easy and secure and Amazon.com works, unlike Crappymore. I was going to try one of the HP books just to see what they are like, but now I won't. I seriously doubt any HP book would come close to the Tolkien experience anyway, so no big loss on my part.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.