View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #67
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It's not mind boggling at all. The popular mantra is: Amazon is my friend and will do me no harm. Consequently, whenever Amazon does someone harm or might be the culprit, the mantra chanters rise to its defense. The thinking is that if the mantra is repeated often enough and loudly enough, it will be true. There is no need to get bogged down in facts or the idea that sometimes bad turns of events are, indeed, Amazon's fault. It is always the person who was harmed who is at fault -- or one of Amazon's nefarious competitors.

Umm...no, that's not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Well, let's see, I can take the word of a random person on the internet, or I can trust Amazon. For me that is not a tough choice.
That's it.

And it's not so much trusting Amazon, it's knowing who they are, knowing their reputation, and knowing their accountability.
To paraphrase some MR member's Isaac Asimov signature quote, it is not so much that I have confidence in Amazon being right, but that I have so much in anonymous strangers on the Internet being wrong.

Last edited by ApK; 05-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote