View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #378
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoths View Post
Does anyone know how to decrypt the SONY's/ADE's text position declarations (e.g. point(/1/4/2/6/1/1:101))?

Theoretically, the numbers after slashes are "children in the DOM tree starting from the document node and counting both element and text nodes". But in practice they count in a very strange way... Or they use not the original document but the internal parsed tree...
I've been wondering about this myself as well, but more for how the "current_position" table works in the books.db. I assume you've seen this google code page? There's an interesting reference here that points out that whitespace between elements are also counted as separate nodes. That said, I've still be unable to correlate the element/node counts, so I think you're right in that it must be using some interal representation of the xml once it's loaded by the Sony reader software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The :101 is the number of characters in your highlight.
I think it's a bit more subtle than that - I suspect the :101 means that the end of the highlight is 101 characters into the current text node. Here that example just happens to be the length of the highlight because the highlight starts at the start of the text node.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote