View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There would be only one set of circumstances in which I'd consider it ethically justifiable to pirate a book:

1. If no commercial eBook was available.

and:

2. I'd bought the paper book.

In those circumstances, I'd have no qualms about downloading a pirated eBook. However, if a commercial eBook did then become commercially available, I'd buy it.

So I'd have to answer "on occasions". Very rare occasions.

On one particular poll almost 65% of the people said they 'pirate' books they have in tree format currently.
Quote:
I knew someone who downloaded a book that they already owned in paper format. (Format-shifting.)
Almost 60% of the people said they would 'pirate' a book if it was not available in electronic format.
Quote:
I knew someone who downloaded a book because the book didn't legally exist in electronic form. (Unavailability.)
That SEEMS to be the consensus...at least the majority opinion here.

Those two reasons apply to the OP, they have a book that A) They own and B) it is not available in electronic format.

Using that as a basis for my question, I merely asked 'why go to the trouble of scanning, proofing, and formatting when the book is probably already out there somewhere?'
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote