OK, update installed, re-rooted again, everything appears OK.
To re-root, you can do it this way (on Windows Vista) (I'm deliberately not doing this simple step-by-step, as this is probably just for geeks):
- Install adb. Need platform tools and extras USB driver package. Don't know the minimum required. I installed 2.3 as well.
- Plug in Vox and let Windows attempt to find USB driver. It won't find one. Then do the following to install the driver. This was definitely the messiest step. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Device Manager, find Kobo, update driver software, browse my computer, let me pick, have disk, point to /Program Files/Android/android-sdk/extras/google, pick Android ADB Composite Interface. May need reboot at this point.
- edit adb_usb.ini in /Users/(you)/.android to add 0x2237 as first line. (This is the Kobo device code for adb)
- run adb start-server, adb devices to ensure you have the Kobo listed. If not, one of the above steps went wrong, try again.
- download SuperOneClick and run it on Windows. It may say your Vox appears to be rooted already. Just tell it to continue. This is simple and just takes a few seconds. Unplug your Vox and reboot.
P.S. Thanks to Brad from Kobo, James/ne0rmatrix and the SuperOneClick guys
Last edited by kcarscadden; 03-02-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Reason: minor edits, add PS