Thread: lv Serial Cable
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
K3 Connector J14

The photos displayed in-line here are thumbnails of the full image.
I am including links with each thumbnail so you can grab the full image if desired.
Note: If you "pay by the byte" - the full images are about 1Mbyte @ about 1,500 ppi.

I had a few questions in my mind about that "build a slip-in tab" for the lamp power socket described in the original thread on this subject.

Now that I got my Chatty Kathy to hold still for a photo session, here is what I found by taking a closer look.

The Kindle-3 (3g, keyboard) connector for the cover light power:

j14 top, full image

Removing the connector from the case/motherboard assemble reveals the two rows of four connector pads. These are the pads shown in-use in the lead photo of the old thread on this subject:

j14 pads, full image

I was able to get enough light on the board that there should not be any question as to which pads are connected to the "ground" plane.

Note that the two sets of four pads are different sizes (widths) and are on different centers.
Also note the two registration holes for the connector in the motherboard, these are significant.

The connector uses "grasshopper leg" spring contacts with the pads on the motherboard.
Holding the connector in alignment with the pads confirms that the contacts are spaced on the center lines of the "outside" row of pads.

j14 align, full image

Also significant in that image is the two little registration posts on the connector, which fit into the motherboard registration holes when mounted.

Getting an oblique side view of that connector shows that the "knees" of the "grasshopper leg" contact springs will only contact the front row of pads, just "inside" of a line between the registration posts/holes.

j14 contacts, full image

After a six month pause, next post in sequence here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=23

Last edited by knc1; 09-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote