View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Some Kindle models are not so lucky but according to the FreeScale git repo, they are maintaining a 2.6.38 version (which would be a nice, general purpose, upgrade to all Kindle models).
Nice! That kernel version would let us run compache with immediate release notification so we can free compressed cache immediately. The kernel on the K4NT and Touch will run compcache fine, but freeing memory may be delayed until a process terminates. Freeing memory immediately on release is MUCH better.

But then, as the kindles are now with NO cache, even limited compcache support is a huge plus.

I think that putting cache files on the mmc instead of compressed RAM is a bad idea, because I did not see write wear levelling code in the mmc read and write routines. Compcache was designed for tablet devices like the kindles, and I think that we should be using it. The touch runs out of memory much too quickly, especially when using optware while the framework is still running.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote