View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #55
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Heh, reading this thread is like reading a list of some of my favourites. I loved Wuthering Heights, really liked Catcher in the Rye, loved War and Peace. The first 400 or so (lol) pages of War and Peace was a bit of a slog to get into so I can understand how people might give up, especially on the random essay parts (just skip them if you don't like them, they're not necessary), but after that and I got used to it I breezed through the last 800 or so.

I say it's all a matter of perspective. You may say "couldn't get through"; I say "partway through until I get back to it". Now those I have a few of... But I'm pretty optimistic and I hate leaving things unfinished for good, so it's a rare book that I'll completely give up on.

I can't think of any right now that I've completely given up on. I did put Ulysses down years ago, but I was determined to eventually come back to it, and now it's on my challenge list for this year, so wish me luck...
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote