View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I bailed during The Fellowship of the Ring during my adolescence and never looked back. Dreadful stuff. Aside from the turgid prose, I hate anthropomorphized furry things.

Otherwise, I see many of my very favorites mentioned here. Wuthering Heights, Jane Austen, The Scarlet Letter, Confederacy of Dunces, Thomas Hardy (Jude the Obscure has the most gut-wrenching ending of any book I've every read). Also some books I at least was in like with (Ulysses, Don Quixote) and which well rewarded the effort.

I have an abandoned shelf at Goodreads, but it's books I couldn't finish because they exceeded my tolerance for trash and/or just plain badness, not because they were boring. That said, I have one book that's languished on my currently reading stack for the best part of a year and while I'd like to finish it, it's long on statistics and short on narrative and I find it a very hard slog. It's called The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy, for the curious, so not a classic. It's the type of thing I'd expect to eat like ice cream, but not in this case.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote