View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #152
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Umm, that "patch" is literally hex editing the version string. I never announce something until I am certain of the project. If someone are into the development process, they can join the IRC. It's never good to give false hope if this doesn't go anywhere. I mean I want to help you unbrick your Kindle because I'm interested in seeing how it would work, but it's not a certainty. If this process works out, I'll write a very in-depth post detailing everything from the commands to the data structures to the memory layout of the device, but now we have people expecting something which puts pressure on me.
@yifanlu, there are people in this and other threads who are in a similar situation and are talking about selling their kindles cheap. I like to give people hope. I did not mean to put pressure on you. When you asked me to POST my serial output so you could search the code for the exact error messages, I thought you meant to post it HERE. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

@Everybody else, please do not ask yifanlu for help on this. I only posted it here because I needed somewhere to post it anyway, and there have been lots of questions about USB HID mode in various threads, and I though it might give hope to those of you who are considering discarding your bricked kindles. Although editting the version string to display unique information during bootup is a valid proof-of-concept showing that we CAN run code of our choice even in a kindle bricked as severely as mine, it is ONLY a proof-of-concept and does not mean that we know how to write code that can repair a kindle. Until this is ready and tested and reliable, I will say no more about it here, and I will wait for yifanlu to document it. Okay?

A word of caution: I have ripped the serial connection PADS off my k4nt circuit board multiple times. Now it is missing the protection resistors as well. It still works because my TTL level shifter circuit is protecting the kindle from excessive voltages. It is extremely easy to damage the serial connector pads on a k4nt, because it does not have a connector installed and needs soldering to tiny pads on the circuit board. Please do not try (yet). The kindle touch serial port is much more solid and less fragile than the k4nt, because you can use a connector, or solder to the connector pins. But that is only a last resort, and will not be needed if we get this USB HID mode working as we want it to. We are only doing it so we can see what is going on while experimenting with USB HID mode.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-31-2012 at 01:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote