View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
Why do you think i'd target it at 3.5 and not use its features? Thing is I definately want to learn/use WPF. It's a beautiful framework that's half a decade ahead of winforms or anything else.

I've previously thought of doing a 2.0 class library, and then wrapping it in a 2.0 command-line tool along with the 3.5 gui. I would be careful to make the 2.0 parts portable with posix filenames, etc. I was going to use the same pipeline as 2.5, going out to the shell and and running the same command-line utilities.

What I found out recently, though, is that 3.5 SP1 is introducing a new feature that basically lets you use pixel shaders in WPF. If I offload the computations to the video card, I could really speed up rasterfarian's sorry performance. I have a bunch of experience writing pixel shaders, and it shouldn't be too much work if I can find what equations my tools use. Also, I found out that going out to the shell is a fairly dirty and/or inflexible business from C#.

What I might be able to do is to rewrite 2.5 into a cross-platform .net executable. Is there a demand for that?
I support you. I think anyone who visits this forum and use your software will not be bothered by installing an api library.

Featurewise, I would like see the support of more formats. At lease mobipocket since I am a Kindle user too. This is not hard to implement and the key, I think, is still finding a high quality raster algorithm that is custom-made to the E-ink display. The current thickening is still as crisp as the native rendering. Are there any subpixel smoothing tricks?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote