Per various requests, I've done an upgrade of the AudioBookReader plugin (v 1.0.77) which adds these features:
* : can also read .M3U playlist files
also: .M3U8, .PLS, .KPL, .RAM
as these have a sufficiently similar file format
* : individual files referenced by the .M3U file are parsed for metadata
and these are merged for the final metadata returned to calibre.
* : referenced .M3U files are NOT copied into the calibre DB
only the .M3U file is copied into the calibre DB
* : local files referenced in the .M3U file should have absolute paths.
since the .m3u file is copied, relative paths are broken.
* : on-line files referenced in the .M3U file will be temporarily
downloaded and copied so that metadata can be parsed from the file.
* : on-line files referenced in the .M3U file should use http: protocol.
the rtsp: protocol is for streaming. trying to download a stream
will never end (until your local hard disk is full).
I have pinged kiwidude, so the automatic pages will be updated in due process.