View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I read the entire thing. It looks like he's in consulting - which would be clients and not really "employers" in the way we typically think about it. Typically you don't offer employees stakes in the firm - employees are usually offered raises or bonuses.
He considered himself an employee of the guy:
Quote:
I called out one guy who has always been difficult that I worked for
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I still think the letter is a combination of what he wanted to say and what he actually said. You don't have to agree but that is the way it looks to me. It reminded me of a guy bragging to a group of guys about his prowess.
The letter is what he is actually saying to S&S CEO Carolyn Reidy. It's not something that only his friends will read about. The story from the letter is supposed to show how despite being brilliant people don't see that until he is being rude about it.

I did like some of the comments on the blog:
Quote:
Your rant is severely diminished by your repeated use of the word “bitch”. And you don’t do much for your credibility by misspelling “Schuster”.
Quote:
Maybe someone who is an artist more than a businessman can write better, and come up with actual words instead of a gratuitous herd of profanity. A little pepper seasons the stew. Too much makes it inedible. Strong, effective writing doesn’t drop f-bombs all over the place, unless your intent is to sound like an amped-up 14-year old.
Quote:
This is incredibly long and more than a little self-absorbed. There are classier ways to do this. You sound like you think you’re God’s gift to marketing, but you really come off sounding like a bit of an ass no matter how shitty Simon and Schuster have been to you. Some subtlety would do you nicely in this letter. You implicate a lot of people and you could cost them their jobs.
Quote:
Dude, you realise that any potential client seeking your marketing ‘skills’ will Google you and find this rant where you show that you cleary have no concept of marketing, no respect for the people you work for or with and are generally going to be too much hard work?

Not very smart for a guy working in marketing. I for one wouldn’t hire you now.
Quote:
So…the devil is in the details. Amazing how perspectives are changed when the details are handled well. Prompt communication, timely payment, etc. But you also need to consider that S & S may not be totally inept either. You’re a first time author with some potential. Publishers of this size weed out authors like you by doing a project and seeing how it works out. You will not get the same treatment as Stephen King, although it sounds like you feel you should. S & S is not stupid, and they will naturally gravitate towards working with people who show the most promise, and who are energizing to work with. No one likes a know-it-all, and only the best of the best try to push it. What you did with this post was to try to gain publicity for your book, and did it in a classless way. If S & S feels you have potential, they will ignore this because authors tend to be a little self-absorbed. If they think you’re more trouble than your worth, who knows?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote