Thread: MobileRead December 2011 - Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Issynbird, would you be willing to start a thread for the Iliad, about a day or two before everyone should start reading it? That way it would gave everyone/anyone who is interested a chance to plan for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That sounds like a plan. I don't even know how long the Iliad is, but I like your idea of reading and discussing in chunks; could be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I'm up for reading and discussing the Iliad. <snip> So starting the Iliad next year sounds good. I downloaded the Epub version from MR and on my reader it comes out at about 1,100 pages. As far as timing why don't we start with Issybird's suggestion and adjust weekly if needed to keep enough of the group current?
Here's where I am: The Iliad has 24 books. I thought if we read it in six books a week chunks it wouldn't seem so formidable; it would be about one book a day if someone wanted to approach it that way. I also thought an ongoing discussion would lend interest and provide encouragement to keep up. But we could always make it four books a week and plan on taking six weeks, if people thought that was more manageable.

How about the second Monday in January (January 9, 2012) to start the discussion? It would be out of sync with both other clubs and people wouldn't have to start reading until after the holidays. I'd be glad to start the thread a week earlier, to kick things off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote