View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #72
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm going to throw some ideas around about a kindle packaging system. I have two problems with kindle hacks. First, install and uninstalling hacks are messy. Install scripts could modify any files and there isn't a system of where data/binaries should be stored. Also, it's hard to keep up with all the installers/uninstallers and versionings. And using kindle's update system could seem confusing to new users as they think they're upgrading. The second problem is we don't have a nice, GUI, launcher. I'm thinking of using the debian packaging system, but I don't want to modify rootfs if I could prevent it. I was thinking of a custom package structure where to install an app, you copy a folder to the "packages" folder on the kindle or something. In that folder will be an startup script, a shutdown script, a run on demand script, and stop on demand script (optional). It would also contain it's own data in that folder. We only install one startup script to the kindle when jail breaking and that script loads all hacks on startup. To uninstall, just delete the folder for the package. And second, someone (maybe me) could write an app launcher that is activated by a shortcut key or gesture.

The package structure could be like:
USB Root
->packages
-->ssh
--->startup.sh
--->shutdown.sh
--->run.sh
--->stop.sh
--->bin
---->dropbear
--->etc
---->dropbear.conf
-->screensaver
--->startup.sh
--->images
---->image1.png
---->image2.png

And so on.

Can developers give some feedback about this?

Last edited by yifanlu; 11-16-2011 at 11:22 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote