View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #212
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I can see a case for wanting the Extract ISBN plugin to attempt to read it from metadata.
When this plugin was in its infancy, I really wanted to be able to pull the ISBN from the in-book metadata either as a fallback, or to compare, and was frustrated that there was no easy way to, in an already added book, get info from the book's internal metadata into the calibre database.

Then I decided that the garbage level, even in commercial ebooks, was just too high, and maybe ignoring the in-book metadata wasn't so bad after all (and I'm a data miser -- I hate ignoring/discarding potentially useful data).

And while this case:
no ISBN can be found in the book content, but one is present in the metadata.
is rare, this case:
no ISBN can be found in the book content, but an accurate one is present in the metadata.
is really rare.

Unfortunately, this case:
an accurate ISBN can be found in the book content, but a different one is present in the metadata.
is really common, making this:
the ISBN extracted from the book is incorrect, but there is a correct one set in the metadata.
pretty impossible to reliably detect.

I don't mind so much when no ISBN can be found in the content, but these:
the ISBN extracted from the book is for a different book (such as an advertisement for a related book for the publisher).
really nag me, because they're stealthy errors.

Maybe the next step is a Verify ISBN plugin that would check the author/title/ISBN against one of the ISBN pools and flag mismatches and not-founds ....

Last edited by capnm; 11-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote