View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Part of that's the lack of Google Account support, I suspect. I don't know if it's Kobo or Google not letting the Vox access - given the requirements for Android Market access used to include cellular phone connectivity, I suspect the latter.

Meridian Media Player might be an option.
It is google not allowing access. The reason that the Vox uses Android 2.3.3 (and not the newer version 3 or 4) is because the source code has been released for free usage. So anyone can use 2.3.3 on their devices. Google can control who has access to thier marketplace though and that is what they do. It does make sense since there are apps there that will make use of hardware that doesn't exist on some devices (Vox doesn't have a camera or Mic for example). It really isn't all that big a deal since it is pretty easy to sideload apps.

Also if you are really tense about the limitations of the device my guess is customs ROMs will become avaliable pretty soon.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote