View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #61
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I see your problem and I should have paid closer attention to your images in sequence previously. You are doing a search and replace to update the author name in the header, then you open the epub and look at the header to prove it is there. The problem is what you show in the ePub has nothing to do with metadata in a ePub. Metadata in a ePub is contained in the content.opf file.

The whole search and replace step your doing is a waste of time. You need to update the author's name in the library view. This field is used when creating the metadata and your cover in your ePub.
I'm doing the search and replace because I don't wnat to have that name in the head ta, it is being picked up by my reader (Pocketbook IQ with CoolReader as my preferred app) and it shows me an incorrect author. Plus I just plain don't want it there, it doesn't belong.

Quote:
This cover is only generated during a conversion, see epub output during conversion. Save to disk etc... will update the metadata and only update the cover (IE. replace a cover in the book with a new one you add/show to calibre's library view) when a properly set cover already exists in the epub.

It has literally been years since I had calibre generate a cover during conversion to epub so I forgot about this feature.
Thank you, I'll check that. I wouldn't want to completely disable the cover because I want to design a cover that would represent each of the fandoms I read, but I need to figure out the size of the image and how to actually go about applying a different cover for each fandom.

Quote:
You can delete that file and avoid sending it by deselecting the option to Save metadata in opf file under Preferences - Saving books to disk. While in the area uncheck save cover separately.

Is there a reason you didn't use Send to device or Connect to folder to send books to your reader?
Because I had a major freakout episode when calibre wouldn't save anything to my SD card inserted into the reader - it recognized the internal micro card but kept asking me to format the SD, and then when I tried top open it on my computer, I got a message saying that there was a cyclic redundancy error on the card. I had my postgraduate notes and some documents from work on that card (I have backups elsewhere but didn't remember that) and I freaked out at the possibility of losing them.

Quote:
If you are adding text then you should not read metadata from file on adding books read from filename instead.
Honestly, I'm tempted to just forget about having calibre read metadata and try to find a good naming scheme for import. Right now I name files in the following format:

Author - Series 01 - Story Title.html

and I want that to be the output on Save as well. I'm also wondering whether I can have calibre populate tags automatically by adding Fandom - before Author in the file name: is there a way to do that?

Quote:
Again I apologize for not catching this sooner but you are jumping through hoops that aren't accomplishing anything. The metadata is created in the epub via the fields in the calibre library and are stored in the content.opf file in the epub. In Sigil use F8 to open the metadata editor to view the metadata in the epub.
No need to apologize, I realize there might be some jumping through hoops plus my earlier frustration with calibre (I uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times before).

And I just tried F8 in Sigil - it shows me "Hordynski, Grzegorz" as the author.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote