View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #72
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyK View Post
Most mp3 players are meant to charge from a computer, but larger devices such as an ereader or any other larger devcie, charging from a computer can be painfully slow and some won't charge if the computer falls into sleep which then makes it a rather inconvienant way to charge your device.
...I'm pretty sure the majority of what you've said is false. E-ink devices typically have the same-sized batteries as a MP3 player or phone and charge at more or less the same rate from a PC or wall-wart, perhaps dependent on the PC's power supply. They continue to do so regardless of sleep state, as evidenced by the fully charged NC, with much higher power requirements than a Kindle, awaiting me when I woke up this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyK View Post
my point is it's SOP to have a wall charger included and not to be left on your own accord to supply something so basic. But it amazes me how people will defend Amazon no matter what. It's just odd .
It's already been demonstrated that it's far from unprecedented. Like others, however, I consider it a smart move. Even many power strips now have USB slots on them, and some people never plug their devices into a wall at all, relying on PCs or car chargers, or even solar docks. It may have been a fair assumption ten years ago that consumers would charge a device by means of an AC wall adapter, but it's increasingly ceasing to be the case.

SOP changes.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote