View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #259
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Cool . You have a very specific workflow of a staging library and presumably not ever touching the book when it is in your final library. However for many people books in their "final library" will never be in a "don't ever touch it again" state in terms of metadata. It may be they find they have catalogued a book incorrectly, have a typo in the title, change their author naming scheme, get fresh metadata based on a new metadata source plugin being available, decide to add a better cover etc etc. In all these cases the metadata is not going to be updated in their book format stored within the library without further actions. So if they are like you in being "bothered" by it then they are going to have to keep adding extra steps to their workflow to be able to sleep at night

You have agreed to de-emphasize it which is the main point - let Calibre do what it is good at in terms of managing the metadata itself in its database/opf file, and only "worry" about metadata in the book at the point you export from Calibre to a device or software that depends upon it, where plugboards can help get this the way you want it.
Well, I don't use the separate Process Library and Store Library anymore, just doing it all in one. And I'm aware that after initial add and metadata edit, also any later changed metadata doesn't update in internal fields on the copies until further action. So personally, just for me, not as a recommendation but just my peace of mind, what I've decided to do is once a month or so: Save everything out, along with covers and OPFs. Create a new empty primary library. Add them all into new library. Check to make sure nothing is missing. Rename old primary library to "Trash", rename new primary library to the old primary library name (I use "Core"), delete the old library Trash.

Now everything is set and I'm happy. It'll all get reset once a month. And the renamings shouldn't mess with automatic backups if they're temporarily off during the save/add process, or if it's done completely between scheduled backup times. All it means for auto-backup is that it will backup the entire library from scratch the first time after each metadata-reset operation.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-18-2011 at 11:31 AM.