View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Don't worry. On another thread I was assured by the Android cognoscenti that Amazon forking Android wouldn't result in incompatability problems and that Android devs had everything under control. Taosaur:

When techies disagee, what are non-techies to think?
Eh, I have to disagree. Currently we've not seen a true and full fork of Android, so of course we've not run into mass app incompatibility. There still have been apps with incompatibility issues on a smaller scale. Its quite frequent to see comments on the Android Market of this app not working with that device. With the rate that Android is moving, if a fork is done, large amounts of work will need to be done to keep things compatible. I mean, Android is not quite 3 years old yet (Almost 4, if you count the year between announcement and when 1.0 shipped on the first device), and we've had 11 Major releases. If you break it down into "families" of versions, thats still 7 (1.0 and 1.1 as one family, then Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb), with another (Ice Cream Sandwich) due out in a few months. I've been using Android since April '10, and in that time I've had to deal with a few version incompatibility problems, where apps wouldn't work on the particular version of Android I was using. With as much as is shifting right now, due to Tablets and Phones requiring differences, I don't see things slowing down anytime soon.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote