Thread: Duokan FAQ
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #166
netean
netean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
run a script

I battled trying to install Duokan on my newly replaced Kindle (3.2.1) none of the binaries worked, tried the full duokan and last week's release of Duokan lite (which now supports epub as well I noticed)

In the end I discovered that you can SSH into the kindle using the usb networking hack and run a script to tell the kindle to run Duokan installer..
[ /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh]
Despite being a geek, didn't really fancy the hassle of that so wrote my first launchpad script to do the same thing:

I say made, I actually completely copies the one that was made for the updated text to speech mod, so thanks to him in fairness.

Create a new text file, call it whatever you like.ini.. mine is duokan.ini

copy this into it

[Actions];; run Duokan installer F D = !sh /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh &

save it in the launchpad folder, restart the kindle (I had to restart a couple of times)

Hit Shift F D

it *should* say success at the bottom of the screen. Restart the kindle from the main menu and, fingers crossed it should restart and reboot into Duokan.

Oddly, I noticed that doing so also mashed up my text to speech mod -may have just been me though?

So my kindle now has:

custom fonts,
custom screensavers
launchpad
fbreader
better Text to speech engine
Dictaphone mod, and
dual boots into Duokan.

won't say it wasn't all a massive fiddle, because it is, but I'm very happy now

If I can, happy to help anyone else.

Iain
Attached Files
File Type: zip duokan.zip (189 Bytes, 1184 views)
netean is offline   Reply With Quote